Thursday, September 28, 2006

Progress

Last night I set up my new painting table in what we call the closet room of our house. Learned I absolutely cannot tolerate the light I bought to use for painting. I have always hated flourescents and this one is no exception. It has a "full spectrum" bulb which I thought would be helpful, but it is so harsh and bright that I immediately felt carsick. Or bulbsick, if you will. My eyes felt as if they were being pressed on really hard. I have to replace it tonight with an incandescent.

I also made a list of which paints are staining, transparent etc and studied some color studies in a new book I bought. Learning just what I can do with alizeran crimson, ultramarine and indian yellow. Fascinating! Some of my paints aren't in yet so I can't do the studies myself. I learned that transparent colors don't make "mud" the way some others do.

I sketched the couch with a really dark soft pencil that is all pencil, no wood. It's buttery! I tried hard not to worry about getting it right but just kept making marks until the shape and perspective were right. I drew it right over a pencil test I did...no idea I was going to like it at all. I love it when I surprise myself.

I see now I will have to get a scanner. Or digital camera. I feel guilty about bringing my sketches to work and having a coworker scan them for me.

No comments: